- The Vipers may be leading the North Division, but they are dead last in the league in attendance. Calgary has only averaged 1,040 fans per game. The Parkers were pretty adept at realizing that Victoria is the most under-served pro sports market in Canada, because the last-place Seals average 2,008 fans per game.
- Retribution Time: Four of the top ten hitters in the league in being hit by a pitch are on the Calgary Vipers. Drew Miller and Nelson Castro have been hit five times, while Mark Okano and Colin Moro have been hit on four occasions.
- The fourth-place Tucson Toros have put four players on the inactive list in the last four days and signed/activated four others. This comes one week after two other players were released. Meanwhile, the Seals have been standing pat since Carlos Duncan was signed a couple of weeks ago. They could definitely use another reliable reliever and a starter to support Isaac Hess and Austin Bibens-Dirkx.
- Orange County has continued their hot streak since sweeping Victoria last week. They have now won seven in a row and their record is a respectable 8-9. With the recent addition of former-Padre Brian Lawrence, the Flyers will be a team to keep an eye on.
- There is still no sign of the video screen at Royal Athletic Park. On opening night the Seals suggested that it would be installed within three weeks. That was 17 days ago, so hopefully we’ll see signs of it in the near future.
- Mike Walker does a very good job doing the play-by-play on Seals broadcasts. His work is especially impressive given the fact that he flies solo (“Vin Scully style”). You can listen to all of the Seals games via victoriaseals.ca. While in the ballpark, you can also hear him on 88.1 FM.
Monday, June 15, 2009
Seal Blubber Bits for June 15th
Here are some bits of seal blubber to gnaw on:
Posted by Gus at 12:43 PM