- The preparatory work at the base of the new scoreboard at RAP was completed by Daktronics during the All Star break. The new video screen should be fully installed by the end of this month. If it's not ready for the July 28-30 series versus Edmonton then it will likely be set to go for the August 7-9 series against the Chico Outlaws. The board will greatly improve the fan experience at the ol' ballyard.
- Even though it was a sunny evening on Thursday, there was a short "rain" delay at RAP. The sprinklers went on briefly in the top of the 8th inning to everyone's surprise.
- Josh Arhart hit in the cleanup position on Thursday night. Let's hope this change is permanent: going into the game, Arhart had a .600 slugging percentage as opposed to Jamar Hill's .540 mark. Arhart was also MVP of the final round of the Golden League playoffs last year, so he's a clutch performer.
- The scheduled starters for the Seals on Friday and Saturday night are Roberto Sotolongo (2-1, 2.41 ERA) and Chris Bodishbaugh (2-0, 6.46 ERA), respectively. Bodishbaugh got his first start of the season last Friday in Edmonton and gave up 4 earned runs in his 5 2/3 innings.
- Sunday's starter for Victoria has not been determined. Could it be that the best local prospect at Saturday's tryout camp will get the start? Not likely, but it's fun to speculate.
- Austin Bibens-Dirkx had his third consecutive strong outing on Wednesday night for the Peoria Chiefs of the Midwest League. The ex-Seal pitched 3 innings of relief and gave up 1 earned run on 3 hits, 0 walks and 3 strikeouts. His ERA "rose" to 1.46 in his 12 1/3 innings pitched since he signed with the Chicago Cubs organization.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Seal Blubber Bits for July 16th
Here is the first installment of Seal Blubber Bits for the second half:
Posted by Gus at 7:23 PM