- There is no word yet on who will be the other starting middle infielder for the Victoria Seals this summer. If the team ends up signing another quality second baseman then GBL All Star Wilver Perez could shift over to shortstop. Perhaps a good middle infielder will show up at the local tryout camp on May 7th.
- Ex-Seal Austin Bibens-Dirkx bounced back from his rough outing on April 16th with a good performance on Thursday evening for the Tennessee Smokies (AA). Bibens-Dirkx pitched five shutout innings against the Carolina Mudcats, giving up only two hits while walking two and striking out four. Although he left with a 2-0 lead, Bibens-Dirkx took a no-decision after the Smokies blew the lead and then came roaring back to win 7-3. His ERA now stands at a respectable 4.09.
- Seals alumnus Isaac Hess continues to work out of the bullpen for the Diablos Rojos del Mexico (AAA). Since we last updated you on Hess’ progress, he’s had one good outing and one so-so performance. Although his record is 3-0, his ERA is 4.62 – only good enough for 13th best on the team. The biggest issue continues to be control, as Hess has walked 12 batters in 25 1/3 innings pitched. As a result, his WHIP (walks plus hits per innings pitched) is an ugly 1.50.
- The first day of spring training for the Seals is May 8th at Royal Athletic Park. All spring training sessions are open to the public and will run from roughly 9 AM to 3 PM each day. The team is also scheduled to hold workouts at RAP on May 10th and May 17th, 18th and 19th.
- The team will be in the interior from May 11th to the 14th and will play a pair of exhibition games in Kamloops against the Calgary Vipers on the 12th and 13th.
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Seal Blubber Bits - pre-spring training edition
Here are some tasty bits to gnaw on as we await the start of spring training:
Posted by Gus at 1:04 PM