- Muffins. No shocker that it didn't make the cut, but if you're going to submit that name wouldn't you go with Stud Muffins instead?
- Rogers. There are some obvious promotional opportunities with the chocolate company, but it didn't quite make the cut.
- Vikings. Uh, that one's taken.
- Cupcakes. Wow, there were a lot of food suggestions... and they all suffered the same fate.
- Capital City Surf. Of course, we'd need the Capital City Goofball as our mascot.
- Orcas. One of the most commonly suggested names, but this one fell short too. It would have been a good one though.
- Brewers. Also taken.
- Tide. Another one of the most common suggestions, but it's already used by a AAA team.
- Mini Goldendoodles. Holly Jones sure has a cute dog, but there's not enough room on the front of a uniform for that one.
- Smokies. Nope -- already used by a AA team.
- Fighting Marmots. That was a great suggestion... OK, maybe I may have put it forward it in a previous blog post, but it was a good suggestion nonetheless. Of course, the Marmots haven't been ruled out yet, so there is always hope.
Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Name and logo of Victoria's WCL team to be released Friday!
After much anticipation, we'll soon know the name and logo of our new West Coast League baseball franchise. The team is set to make the official announcement at 11:30 AM at the Shark Club. Our group of intrepid bloggers will be on hand to cover the event and you'll find news and commentary on this site afterwards. Members of the public are welcome to attend the unveiling, so feel free to come on down to the Shark Club and experience it yourself.
The team has been tight-lipped about their decision, but GM Holly Jones has been releasing names periodically on Twitter that were not selected. So far, the following have been ruled out:
It's a bit of a long-shot to predict what name might be chosen, but given owner John McLean's knowledge and respect of Victoria's baseball tradition, I wouldn't be surprised to see a throwback name selected. Either that or the Stud Muffins.
Posted by Gus at 10:11 PM